Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Minister's Tree House

This past Thursday through Monday, my sister and I traveled with my 91 (almost 92) year old Grandma to Tennessee to visit some of her relatives in Cookeville and Chattanooga. After arriving in Cookeville on Friday afternoon, my sister and I visited the Minister's Treehouse approximately 30 miles southeast in Crossville.

Rising 97 feet tall, the tree house was constructed by Harold Burgess, an ordained minister, using scrap wood, a chainsaw, and about 258,000 nails over an eleven year period. According to a 2007 interview with USA Today, Burgess decided to build the treehouse after having a vision from God. Said Burgess, "I was praying one day, and the Lord said, 'If you build me a tree house, I'll see you never run out of material.'"

The tree house is built around an 80-foot tall white oak and is supported by six other trees. Parts of it are open while other areas are enclosed, including a chapel about halfway up complete with pews, an altar, plexiglass skylights, and carved, wooden statues. The highest point of the tree house is a bell tower with chimes made of giant oxygen acetylene drums. A field with the word "JESUS" grown in it is clearly visible from the tower.

Many visitors leave their names or a message on the wood of the tree house. I didn't write anything but was amused by a few of the inscriptions. Visitors can also ride a swing attached some 60 feet up in the tree. I did do this. If you ever visit and go on the swing, just be sure to duck so you don't hit your head on the backswing. I didn't bump my head but came within inches of doing so.


























No comments:

Post a Comment