Tuesday, September 29, 2015

South Arapahoe Peak

I took a break from the mountains for a couple weeks after climbing Longs, but on August 22 ventured again towards the glaciated peaks of the Continental Divide. This time to the stretch designated as Indian Peaks Wilderness, just south of Rocky Mountain National Park.

From the Fourth of July Trailhead, about five miles up a bumpy dirt road outside Nederland, the hike steadily gains altitude, passes the abandoned Fourth of July Mine, then reaches a dramatic drop-off, overlooking the giant Arapahoe Glacier and the magnificent, terraced lakes it feeds.

South Arapahoe Peak's summit is just a few hundred feet further up at 13,397 feet above sea level. After dragging myself to top, I ducked down inside a circular, roofless wall of stone and enjoyed coffee kept hot by my thermostat. It was different than how I have my coffee most days.
























No comments:

Post a Comment