Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Lumpy Ridge

In late September, as the aspen flared yellow, I got up early Saturday morning to hike Rocky Mountain National Park's Lumpy Ridge loop. I was somewhat conflicted about going to Lumpy Ridge as this part of the park will remain easily accessible throughout the winter. Access to the mountaintops, conversely, would soon be shut off and the forecast for the day was sunny and perfect. A part of me wanted to climb a mountain while I still could.

These misgivings of not seeking greater elevation eased as soon as I started hiking. Lumpy Ridge is very pretty. The first vista along the trail is of Estes Park, drowsily light up in the cradle of a thin valley. Next up is minuscule Gem Lake and its upright rock walls. At that point along the way, neon orange sunlight spilled through the spindly trees. Then came mountain meadows, pastures of aspen, a view down Black Canyon (a different one than of the Gunnison), and finally hundred foot tall rock pedestals and sculptures, presumably the lumps begetting the name Lumpy Ridge.

Since seeing the aspen is such a quintessential Colorado experience, I'm glad I did. But the trail was a few ticks down on the awe-meter compared to recent hikes. As enjoyable as this relatively flat hike was, here's something far more climactic and fulfilling about climbing a mountain.












No comments:

Post a Comment