Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New York / Philadelphia

New York City

NYC. Capital of the World. Not my favorite place, but somewhere I wanted to pass through one final time before I left this region. I decided to make it the first stop on my East Coast farewell tour, a weekend jaunt to NYC and Philadelphia to see a few friends before I move out of DC next week.

24 hours in New York was enough. I traveled there by way of Megabus, a low-budget interstate bus line, arriving around 2:30 Saturday afternoon after a four and a half hour ride. I met up with friends and wandered the streets of Midtown, the Upper East Side, and SoHo where we dined on spicy Thai food.

Ever-looming above the city's streets is the not-yet-complete Freedom Tower, the massive structure being built at the site of Ground Zero. Only days ago it surpassed the Empire State Building as the tallest in the city and still has another 500 feet to climb.

The next morning after brunch I meandered south along Central Park's eastern boundary from 96th St. to approximately 79th St., passing by the Guggenheim and the Met. Crowds flocked to Central Park to celebrate the beautiful Mother's Day weather. I caught a Megabus to Philadelphia just outside the Port Authority terminal in Midtown.

While I'm long on record as describing New York as suffocating and unmanageable, it's a fun place to take in for short periods and I'm glad I was able to visit again.


















Philadelphia

My stop in Philadelphia was primarily confined to eating delicious Chinese food and catching up with old friends. I stayed over with a friend who lives in the up-and-coming South Philadelphia neighborhood of Breeze Point and left aboard a bus at noon on Monday, which departed from the heart of Philadelphia's Chinatown.










No comments:

Post a Comment