Thursday, July 11, 2013

Zion National Park

The swelter of summer beat down across Zion's sunrise-colored sandstone cliffs. But within the canyon, the flowing water and protective walls made the air almost cool. I had come back to Zion National Park to traverse The Narrows, an intimate hike/wade up the Zion River far into freshly carved canyon. It was a hike I hadn't done last summer when I was at Zion.

Besides being one of the most beautiful places ever, Zion is a well-organized park. It welcomes nearly three million visitors annually, but the park prohibits cars from driving into the canyon in the summer when it's busiest so the park seldom feels crowded. Sightseers and hikers must board a shuttle bus, making periodic stops as it goes up-canyon from the visitor center and back.

The last stop on the bus route is the Temple of Sinawava. After arriving just past 9 a.m. this is where I headed. A paved one-mile river walk leads to the edge of the Virgin River and the start of The Narrows. You can wade as far up the canyon as you like. It just keeps getting narrower and narrower until the canyon's start. One major perk of going farther up the river is that the crowds thin out sharply.

I went about three miles upriver where I reached a large pool--Big Spring--that I would either have had to wade in water up to my neck or swim through. I was prepared to wade up to my waist but wasn't ready to get that wet so I turned around and made my way back to the visitor center.

Since I was there and I loved Zion, I got a campsite and decided to spend the rest of the day hiking. And hike I did. About sixteen miles in all (when you include the six miles of The Narrows). I took the shuttle to the Weeping Wall stop and began the over four mile climb to Observation Point, a precipice overlooking Zion Valley from the north.

About a quarter mile in, I turned off on a two-mile out-and-back spur that led to Hidden Canyon. The trail hugged steep cliffsides and portions were aided by a chain railing. I found the canyon itself, narrow and hidden in foliage, somewhat underwhelming but the precarious drop-offs made the trail worth it.

Then it was on to Observation Point. The trail swung across rocky canyon walls before dipping into rolling Echo Canyon then steadily climbing along the canyon rim to Observation Point. I could feel the soreness setting into my muscles as I reached the top of the cliff, but still had a mile to go around the canyon rim to the famous vantage. The exertion, nevertheless, is well worth the view.

Arrival




The Narrows






















South Campground




Hidden Canyon Trail












 Observation Point Trail






























No comments:

Post a Comment