Monday, September 30, 2013

The Gulf and Back

Last weekend was my last opportunity to get away for awhile, so I took it. As spin-off from Tropical Storm Manuel drenched Central and West Texas, I drove south through the deluge and spent last Friday night in Corpus Christi.

Corpus Christi--or just Corpus--is a city by the sea. Its downtown streets were empty when I arrived late in the afternoon. I munched on an order of fries from Whataburger as I wandered along the seawall protecting Corpus from the Gulf.

The beaches of Corpus are not especially pretty but they offer nice views of the skyline and twinkling oil rigs in the distant waters. Sunset lit the hazy sky in deep blues, then purples, then grays as I dined on fresh raw oysters.

I walked the seawall again the next morning this time in the opposite direction towards the city's art museum and a decommissioned aircraft carrier. Then I drove about thirty minutes to Padre Island National Seashore. My national parks pass got me in for free.

On Padre Island, I walked and briefly drove along the beach. Thick clouds shrouded the sun but the ocean waves still crashed, same as ever. Much like standing in the presence of mountains, standing on the shore of a giant body of water reminds me of the vastness of everything.

After collecting a handful of sea beads (seeds from Southeast Asia that get caught in ocean currents and wash up on Texas beaches ten to fifteen years later) and meeting a bright white and yellow crab, I began my backroads return to Austin.

I spent an hour in touristy Port Aransas before taking the shortest (literally four minute) ferry ride of my life. Once back on mainland Texas, I cut up through the southeastern part of the state to Goliad and the state park there. It was here where captured Texian soldiers were massacred by the Mexican Army during the War for Texas Independence. That event, along with the Battle of the Alamo, stirred the Texas Army to final victory at San Jacinto.

My final stop before getting back to Austin was Palmetto State Park, a lush preserve on the banks of the San Marcos River. I didn't stay long, but enjoyed watching the glowing orange sun set behind the park's lush foliage.






































No comments:

Post a Comment