Monday, October 28, 2013

Colorado Bend and Inks Lake State Parks

I've been increasingly feeling that when the my master's program ends this spring so will my time in Texas. This has motivated me to see as much of the state as possible in my remaining time here.

One way to experience Texas is by visiting its numerous state parks. Last Friday, I checked two more off my list: Colorado Bend State Park near Bend and Inks Lake State Park just east of Burnet.

Colorado Bend, about two hours northwest of Austin, protects forested cliffs carved by the Colorado River through classic Texas Hill Country. Hiking the Spicewood Canyon and Spicewood Springs trails I saw at least five deer, an armadillo, and a wild pig. Recent rainfalls had swollen the springs and at points the hike required wading ankle deep through water flowing to meet the Colorado. 

After a eating my packed lunch, I drove back to the park entrance and hiked out and back to Gorman Falls, an expansive cascade of mineral-rich water. The falls is so big it's hard to capture in a single shot, especially since you can only back up to the edge of the river.

Starting back towards Austin, I stopped for a quick wander through historic downtown Llano before continuing on to Inks Lake State Park, a popular camping, boating, and swimming destination. With hundreds of campsites, tens of cottages, playgrounds, boat ramps, and a restaurant, the park is geared more towards recreation than exploration.

In spite of the howling children, the rocky lakeshore and clouded sky pierced by wide rays made Inks Lake a worthwhile spot to take a short hike and watch the sun set.































No comments:

Post a Comment