Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Lost Maples State Natural Area

I got up early on Black Friday and drove out to Texas Hill Country. Destination: Lost Maples State Natural Area. My Thanksgiving micro-vacation. Hill Country is a place of hypnotic beauty. Rolling, green hills that upon closer examination are actually cracked limestone hulks cloaked in dense vegetation.

When I arrived, I asked the ranger at the entrance where I could see the changing leaves. On the ground, he said. They come and go in an instant. A chill had just blown through and the leaves had changed and fallen in days. A few trees were ablaze in color, but most were not.

I hiked the West Trail, along a ridgeline then down through Mystic Canyon. After some lunch, I did a portion of the East Trail to the park's highest and most central lookout. By the time I left in the afternoon, a line-up of cars was waiting to get into the park. Lost Maples is understandably popular.
















No comments:

Post a Comment