Monday, December 30, 2013

Northern Arizona and Southern Utah

Last week Friday, I headed west from Monument Valley on Highway 160 not entirely sure where I was headed next. I did, however, know my first stop: Navajo National Monument, located about an hour away near the town of Shonto, Arizona.

Most of the trails at Navajo National Monument were closed due to snow and ice, but I was able to hike a mile-long trail to an overlook of an 800 year old Navajo village built into an alcove of Betatakin Canyon, part of the Tsegi Canyon system.

I didn't stay long, and a few hours later found myself near the outskirts of Page in northern Arizona. Signs along the highway informed me that I was close to Antelope Canyon, a place I had seen stunning photos of but hadn't planned on visiting. In no hurry, I decided to pull off the highway and investigate. I'm glad I did.

Antelope Canyon (specifically Lower Antelope Canyon) is one of the most spectacular places I've ever visited. It is on Navajo land and requires a $26 admission fee, but the intricately carved rock of the narrow slot canyon is well worth the price of admission.

Following two Navajo guides, our tour group of about 20 people descended into the surreal Salvador Dali underwold of sculpted stone ranging in hue from bright orange to deep purple. It was unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Flash floods flowing down steep descents to Lake Powell have carved the constantly changing, three-quarters mile dreamscape. I felt as if I were inside a giant lava lamp.

Continuing through Page, I stopped at a vista overlooking of the Glen Canyon Dam, then at another high above Lake Powell. I ended the day a little further west in Kanab, a small town in southern Utah, where I paid just six dollars to watch the latest installment of The Hobbit movie trilogy at the Crescent Moon Theater.

The next morning, I got up early, drove to Zion National Park, and hiked the Watchman Trail. I'd been to Zion twice before but never in the winter. It was gloriously empty. There was hardly a car in the parking lot and only one other person on that trail that morning.


Navajo National Monument





Antelope Canyon




























Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell







Crescent Moon Theater



Zion National Park









No comments:

Post a Comment