Sunday, January 8, 2012

Garden of the Gods

After Boulder, my next destination was Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. It was a place I had discovered randomly on the Internet a while back and put on my not-to-be-missed-in-this-lifetime list. I stopped at the visitor center first, but could see the rust-colored rocky spires in the in the distance. Nothing in the gift shop could compare to what awaited outside the window so I quickly sped across the street and into the park.

Free of charge, Garden of the Gods is a lofty collection of precariously perched gigantic red and white rocks. Words scarcely suffice to convey the grandeur of the formations. The rocks erupt out of the earth, fiery pillars of igneous and sediment. It is definitely a site that belongs on the not-to-be-missed-in-this-lifetime list. I spent a few hours wandering through the natural sculptures which had been given funny names like Tower of Babel, Kissing Camels, Cathedral Spires, Pulpit Rock, and Sleeping Giant.













No comments:

Post a Comment