Friday, January 20, 2012

LBJ Presidential Library

It has been said that the Presidency is the loneliest office in the world. I did not find it so. Even during the darkest hours of my administration. I always knew that I could draw on the strength, support and love of my family and friends.

But if I was seldom lonely, I was often alone. No one can experience with the President of the United States the glory and agony of his office. No one can share the majestic views from his pinnacle of power. No one can share the burden of his decisions or the scope of his duties. A Cabinet officer, no matter how broad his mandate, has limited responsibility. A Senator, no matter how varied his interests, has a limited constituency. But the President represents all the people and must face up to all the problems. He must be responsible, as he sees it, for the welfare of every citizen and must be sensitive to the will of every group. He cannot pick and choose his issues. They all come with the job. So his experience is unique among his fellow Americans.

- Lyndon B. Johnson, April 1971











No comments:

Post a Comment