Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Romney in Clive

The final candidate on my list  was Mitt Romney. I had met Romney four years ago at an actual caucus but didn't have a photo with him. That was my goal. (Silly, silly, I know, but we all need hobbies. Collecting photos with politicians happens to be one of mine.)

As soon as I'd snapped my photo with Perry in Perry, I jumped in my car and sped off to Clive. It was 7:00 p.m. and a forty minute drive lay ahead of me. Although the event wasn't scheduled to start until 8:40 p.m. I knew this rally would be big so I wanted to arrive at least an hour early. There would just barely be enough time. I hadn't eaten since since 1:00 in the afternoon but I wasn't going to let mere hunger interfere with this chance.

When I pulled off the highway into Clive, a suburb of Des Moines, the parking lot of Competitive Edge was already full. I had to park in the lot of another company in the business park. Competitive Edge printed and embroidered promotional material for companies. Its structure was a huge open warehouse. A plywood black stage was set up in the middle of the cavernous space. Bleachers for the public, a large printed Iowa state flag, and artfully stacked Fruit of the Loom boxes were to the left. Bleachers packed tight with camera stands and photographers to the right.

I was able to stake out territory right at one of the corners of the rope line around the stage. Based on the setup I tried to anticipate where Romney would stand and where he'd go if he ended up venturing into the crowd. My photo op depended on this. After attending these things this for years, I have to admit I'm getting pretty good at it. Perhaps I could be a political tour guide.

I struck up a conversation with a tall man who looked like Tim Pawlenty and was there with his daughter. It turned out he was a former professional golfer who now taught lessons and ran a driving range. He had been to a Rick Santorum event earlier in the day and was supporting Santorum in the caucus. Nevertheless, he and his daughter had the same idea as I did: see as many of the candidates as possible. The three of us strategized that if Romney did indeed come around we'd take lots of pictures and exchange email addresses.

The warehouse steadily filled up. By 8:15 it was getting uncomfortably warm and because I was standing by a sweaty Minnesota high school group the smell wasn't great. I found it quite shocking how many people had flocked to Iowa from outside the state. I think political tourism is becoming a phenomenon. A small one perhaps but a noteworthy one. When you think about it, this is really the only opportunity like it. When else do average Americans have a chance to shake hands with would-be leaders of the free world?

By 8:40, the scheduled start time, the Romney event still hadn't begun. There had been sound checks and the press photographers had been situated in front of the stage but there was no sign of the candidate. The place was packed now and the buzz was palpable. Five, then ten, then fifteen minutes passed. The tension sagged to mild annoyance. All of a sudden there was activity at the far end of the warehouse. In strode a bevy of preppy young men: four of Romney's five sons, a few congressmen, and North Dakota Senator John Thune. They chivalrously passed out poster board signs to the adoring crowd.

After the castle guard made their way down the raised walkway to the center stage, Thune took the microphone. He harshly judged President Obama's performance living up to the promises candidate Obama had made four years ago in Iowa. Then he introduced Romney. Decked in dark, loose jeans and wearing no tie or jacket, Romney looked like he was trying a little too hard to be casual. But he gave a good speech. He opened with a few remarks then handed the microphone off to his wife, Ann.

Ann Romney is immensely likable. Blonde and wearing a steady smile she spoke for less than five minutes and did much to push back against the accusation that Romney is too mechanical. She said when he was on the road working for Bain he would call and tell her she had the more important job--raising five sons. She went on to say that raising five boys could be a challenge because they were always up to something. Now she loves watching her numerous grandchildren misbehave.

Then the microphone went back to Mitt. He gave his focus group tested spiel. Much was familiar but one theme he hammered that I think could gain traction is the question of whether a particular government program is worth borrowing money from China to fund. Big Bird is a great thing he said, but is it worth borrowing money from China for the government to fund? In a Mitt Romney administration, there'd be ads on Sesame Street.

Midway through his speech, Romney was interrupted by Occupiers. One started chanting something about Romney being a corporate shill. Then someone else piped up from the other side of the warehouse. They were almost immediately drowned out by chants of, "Mitt is it, Mitt is it, Mitt is it," Then someone yelled, "Go to work." Romney and the crowd chuckled as Romney calmly swatted away the distraction, "Isn't it great we live in a free country where you can voice your opinions....I hope when Barack Obama comes to down we have people to voice how his policies have been a failure."

After wrapping up the speech, Romney did indeed venture out into the crowd. I was ready when the opportunity presented itself. I shook hands with Romney and quickly asked if I could get a picture. He smiled his assent and I snapped the photo myself. Victory! Three in one day, four for four overall. I had managed to score a photo with Newt on Sunday then ones with Bachmann, Perry, and Romney all on caucus eve. I offer the following simple advice to anyone wishing to get a photo with a candidate:

1.) Arrive to events early, preferably an hour but at least 30 minutes before.

2.) Scope out the area. Try to anticipate where the candidate will enter, speak, and exit.

3.) Get as close to one of these points as possible.

4.) When the event ends, push towards the front. Some people will fall back to exit, this is your chance to gain precious ground.

5.) Strike up conversations with people who work at the establishment where the event is being held. They often have valuable information about the schedule and are only too happy to divulge it. Campaign staff do not like sharing details with the public. The media is hit or miss. Sometimes they're pleasant and other times they're disdainful.

6.) Shake hands with the candidate first. While shaking the candidate's hand ask if you can get a picture. They typically do not mind posing for 2 or 3 seconds.

7.) Have your camera ready. Ideally, have a photo buddy. This is someone who can take your picture while you interact with the candidate. It can be difficult to snap the photo yourself.















No comments:

Post a Comment