Monday, January 9, 2012

Ouray Part II: Sun and Ice

When I checked out of the Riverside Inn on Sunday morning, I purchased another pass to the hot springs (the hotel sold them at a discount). I was in no rush to leave Ouray because I had a lot of driving in front of me and I wanted to give the sun time to melt the snow that had fallen overnight. Soaking underneath the mountain aeries in hot mineral water seemed like the perfect way to pass the time while the sun cleared the roads of snowpack.

The hot springs didn't open until 11 a.m. so I went back to Main Street where I saw the town in its sunny, clear splendor. I sipped a latte at Mouse's Chocolates and Coffee, then stopped by the town's visitor center. At the visitor center, a friendly old lady named Mary, who had moved to Ouray from Iowa, bubbled with passion for the city. She said she visited Ouray thirteen years ago and got around to moving there five years later. Ouray has that effect on people. The hotel where I stayed was run by a family that had visited Ouray one year then moved there the next.

Mary told me all about the annual ice climbing competition in Ouray (she had been there in years past and the day before) and insisted I see it for myself before I left town. I'm glad I took Mary's advice. I swung by the hot springs for a 40 minute soak as soon as it opened, then returned to Main Street where I parked my car and walked the half-mile or so to Box Canyon Falls on the far southern end of town. In winter, the falls transform from flowing water into murderously beautiful ice crystals.

Sportsmen and sportswomen bedecked in colorful, insulated clothing were scaling these glass shards with ice picks and steel-clawed boots. It looked a tad dangerous for my taste, but no doubt thrilling. Judges watched the ice climbers, taking notes. I'm not sure what criteria they were being judged on. Style? Speed? Technique? In addition to the ice climbing competition, vendors were selling food and equipment from tents perched alongside the chasm and a zip line had been strung up above the icicle falls. Once I had taken in the scene, I boarded the short yellow school bus shuttle, which took me back to Main Street, and set off on my way to Mesa Verde.






















No comments:

Post a Comment